Formerly known as Saigon, Hochiminh city today is the bustling and vibrating economic center of the south. The city is bathed by many rivers, arroyos and canals, the biggest river being the Saigon River. The Port of Saigon, established in 1862, is accessible to ships weighing up to 30,000 tons, a rare advantage for an inland river port.
Over the past few centuries, Saigon was already a busy commercial center. Merchants from China, Japan and many European countries would sail upstream the Saigon River to reach the islet of Pho, a trading center. In 1874, Cho Lon merged with Saigon forming the largest city in the Indochina. Saigon was called the ''Pearl of the Far East'' and was an important trading center for Chinese, Japanese and Western merchants who travelled up the Saigon River.
In Hochiminh city, you can visit: French quarter with cathedral Notre Dame, Poste Office, municipal theatre of style parisian small Palace, formerly Presidential palace, China town, war museum, ancient pagodas and temples...
The climate is generally hot and humid. There are two distinctive seasons: the rainy season, from May to November, and the dry season, from December to April. The annual average temperature is 27ºC. The hottest month is April and the lowest is December. It is warm all year.
WHEN TO GO?
Go to southern Vietnam in winter for the best weather, avoiding the monsoon season (May to October). But be prepared for humid conditions throughout the year. The best month is January, when the weather is drier and temperatures hover in the high-80s. The weather in the Central Highlands northeast of Ho Chi Minh City is appreciably cooler, especially at night. By contrast, Muine Beach, Phu Quoc Island offer warm temperature around the year.
HOW TO GET THERE?
Several airlines offer non-stop flights from Asian hubs airports like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Bangkok to the Tan Son Nhat International Airport.
It's also possible to travel overland from Phnom Penh, Cambodia, to Ho Chi Minh City in a day via the Moc Bai/Bavet border crossing; travelers' cafés in both cities sell bus tickets for the trip, which normally takes from six to eight hours.
WHERE TO STAY?
By click on our website, you have a great choice of hotels from inexpensive hotels to luxury hotels in our list Hotels in Hochiminh city. You can contact us at any time for FREE INFORMATION.
WHAT TO DO?
Explore Saigon called by many locals: Cathedral Notre Dame, Post office, city hall, Palace of Reunification, War museum, China town, Ben Thanh market, Tay Son lacquer factory. From Saigon, you have multiple choices for your short trips:
• You also discover the famous tunnels of Cuchi (70km from Saigon), Mekong delta (1 or 2 Days). Enjoy 2 Days luxury cruise on Song Xanh sampan or 3 Days adventure on Bassac Boats.
• From Saigon, you drive to Dalat hill for 4Days break or to Muine Beach/ Phan Thiet for relaxation at luxury resorts on beach.
• Fly to Phu Quoc Island to have a beach vacation in turquoise water. Diving and scuba in Phu Quoc are a plus for travelers.
• If you have no time for beach, you spend 3 days or 2 days in B aria – Vung Tau located 100km from Hochiminh city. Ho Tram resort or Oasis Beach resort are dedicated to your stay.
WHERE TO SHOP?
You have lots of shops along Dong Khoi street (formerly Catinat ) and Le Loi Street. Or you can shop at Saigon Thuong Xa, Diamond Plaza, Saigon Center and so on. For handicraft products, please watch Tay Son lacquer factory or XQ embroidery.
WHERE TO EAT?
You can taste Vietnamese cuisine at local restaurants:
1. Indochine restaurant - 26 Truong Dinh Street, District 3, HCM city - Tel: 08 3 930 8421 / 930 8422
2. Le Mekong - 57 Dong Du Street, District 1, HCM city - Tel: 083 829 5045 / 829 5047
3. Bach Duong Restaurant - 30 Vo Van Tan St., Ward 6, Dist. 3, HCM city - Tel: 08 39308779 / 08 39308781
4. Tu Do Restaurant - 80 Dong Khoi Street, Dist 1, HCM city - Tel: 083 829 9820
5. Vietnam house- 93 -95 Dong Khoi Street, Dist 1, HCM city - Tel: 08 3 829 1623
6. Nam Kha Restaurant - 46-48-50 Dong Khoi Str., Dist 1, HCM city
7. Cung Dinh Restaurant at REX hotel
8. Hoian Restaurant - 11 Le Thanh Ton Street, Dist 1, HCM city - Tel: 08 3 823 7694 / 824 6140
9. Binh An Village Restaurant - 1163 Binh Quoi road, Ward 28, Binh Thanh Dist, HCM city - Tel: 5566099
10. Hoang Long Chinese restaurant (Dragon Courtyard) – 11-13 Lam Son square, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8272577
11. Good morning Vietnam restaurant – La Hostaria Saigon – 17B Le Thanh Ton street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8242844/ 8231080
12. Huy Long Vien restaurant – 99 Nguyen Du street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8237799
13. Mandarin restaurant – 11 A Ngo Van Nam street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8220246
14. Mogambo Bar and Grill – 50 Pasteur street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8294657
15. Amigo – 55 Nguyen Hue Street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8241248
16. Barbecue Garden – 135A Nam Ky Khoi Nghia street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8233340
17. Hoa Vien Brauhaus – 28 Mac Dinh Chi street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8290585
18. Lion Brauhaus Restaurant – 13 Lam Son Square, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel:083 8238514
19. Imperial restaurant – 6 Le Van Huu street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8294644
20. Market 39 restaurant – 39 Le Duan street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 5209999
21. Parview restaurant – New World hotel – 76 Le Lai street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8228888
22. The Grill restaurant – 63 Nguyen Hue street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8222999
23. Sarpino’s Pizzeria Group – 125 Ho Tung Mau street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8217788
24. Thai Express restaurant – 8A Le Thanh Ton street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 086 2991338
25. Wild Horse restaurant – 8A1/D1 Thai Van Lung Street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8251901
26. Yoshino restaurant – Legend hotel Saigon – 2A Ton Duc Thang street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel:083 8233333
27. Lemongrass – 4 Nguyen Thiep street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8220496
28. Maxim Nam An restaurant – 13-15-17 Dong Khoi street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8296676
29. Quan An Ngon restaurant – 138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia street, Dist1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8257179
30. Song Ngu restaurant – 70 -72 Suong Nguyet Anh street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8325017
31. Vietnam House – 93 – 95 Dong Khoi street, Dist 1, HCM city – Tel: 083 8291623
32. Com Chay Nang Tam – 384/40 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia street, Ward 8, Dist 3, HCM city
© Cosmos Travel Vietnam Co.,Ltd. All rights reserved